Wednesday, August 3, 2011

WTG and WTF Wednesday

1.  I need to alter WTF Wednesday a little bit to give a WTG shout out to my eldest daughter.  This week she is attending basketball camp at Bowdoin college with about 175 ish other girls.  Yesterday she won the Camper of the Day award!  Yay, Big Sister!!!  She had a feeling she might win it because she had a bunch of steals, good passes and baskets while the head coach was watching.    She was so excited and proud of herself.  She's not had her growth spurt yet (sorry kid, I didn't grow until I was a junior in high school.....), so she's shorter than many of her friends that play bball.  But she works hard at it and is a very good ball handler.   She won a special red t-shirt that she wore to camp today (of course!). 

I was never that kid that won the special awards in sports.  I tried but I was never good enough to stand out from others.  I'm so glad that she is one of those kids that stands out.  She works hard and it pays off for her.  I hope her work-hard attitude carries through as she gets older.

WTG!

2.  Back to WTF now.  Ok, I must be getting old now because I think I sound like my mother.  Or grandmother.  Or somebody who is older.  And not hip.  Or cool.  What is with songs on the radio, like Top 40 radio, that I feel like I have to turn off or turn down during certain parts?  For example:

Rihanna  S & M--sex in the air, I don't care, I like the smell of it.
Bruno Mars  Lazy Day Song--find a really nice girl have some really nice sex
Katy Perry ET--Tell me what's next, alien sex I'ma disrobe you, than I'mma probe you.  See I abducted you, so I tell ya what to do.  I tell ya what to do, what to do, what to do

So I'm not a prude here and my kids are well aware of all the swear words and such, but really, do I want my 8 year old singing at the top of her lungs, "Sex in the air, I don't care, I like the smell of it"???  Not that she knows what that means, but still!  I'ma disrobe you?  I'ma probe you?  Really??? 

First of all, it's really poor English.  Secondly, disrobing and probing?  Agggghhhh!  WTF!!!

What's a good parent to do?   Does it even matter?  I suppose we had similar songs when we were growing up.  One I can think of right away was Start Me Up--Rolling Stones.  you make a dead man come (or cum, I suppose is the correct spelling)  I can remember a babysitter not willing to tell me what it meant, I think I was in 3rd or 4th grade.  It was a little while before I found out.    Any thoughts on this?

3.  I was wanting to do a post about this myself someone else has done it much more eloquently than I could.  What are we doing to ourselves?  Our nation is 30% obese.  Read THIS.  And THIS.  We need to do something to shock this country into shape.  WTF. 



2 comments:

Jason said...

Thank you so much for linking my posts to your site. That is a great way to spread the news and I am hoping to announce something in the next few days related to this obesity epidemic we have in this country.

Carla Pierce said...

As always, love reading your blog, especially since I now have the RSS feed and can just open it up in my igoogle page each morning! Totally agree with song lyrics and believe me they were just as bad when my girls were young!