Saturday, December 31, 2011

Long time friends are the best friends

I had the best evening last night!  A friend of mine from high school invited a bunch of us to a happy hour at his house.  Some friends were there that I have seen recently and some I hadn't seen since high school. 

I was a little nervous about going and seeing people I hadn't seen in years but my nervousness was stupid and not necessary.  As soon as I arrived, it was like we had just seen each other last week.  3 out of 6 of my very best high school friends where there last night.  There is nothing like friends that you have known for 20+ years.  Friends who knew you when you were young and stupid and had zits on your face, or a bad haircut.  Friends who have seen you cry and laugh, been there when you were fall-down-drunk or when you scored your first goal.  Friends who you studied with, partied with, graduated with, lived next door to.  Friends who have seen you at your worst and your best.  People who knew you before you knew who you were going to be, when you were unimportant, or broke, and loved you anyway. 

These are the type of friends that I got to hang out with last night.  Lucky me!  On my drive home, I thought (as my husband slept), why do I let these people drift out of my life?  It's so hard to keep in touch with everyone as life takes over.  Work, dinner, kids activites, bills, laundry, weekend and repeat.  You lose track of each other when we all get busy with our own things.  Some had moved away and then moved back.

I don't usually make New Years Resolutions, so I won't call this a resolution, but instead a goal for next year.  Keep these people close to me.  Try to get together more often and share our lives.  These people helped make me who I am.  I need them in my life. 

So you people--you know who you are--be prepared to see more of me and my husband and kids.  Like it or not. 

2 comments:

Bobbi said...

So glad you skipped sushi and stayed with us! ❤

Lisa said...

What a great way to end the year and begin a new one. I think FB and blogging (I don't tweet) are great tools to help facilitate - but it's definitely up to us humans to make the plans and keep them.

Good lesson for us all :)