Monday, September 23, 2013

Unexpected Long Weekend

Friday came as an unexpected day off.  I could choose to have her fill my schedule or just keep the day off.  I chose the latter.  I've learned my lesson--if you fill a day at the last minute, you either get a bunch of weird complicated crap or you get 2 appointments.  Since there was a full moon, I wasn't taking any chances.  Day off wins.

Once the kids were at school I had plenty of time to do all those things that never seem to get done.  I did all the dishes.  I did all the laundry.

I didn't say I folded it....

I brought the kitten to the vet, went to the dump, got medicine for Big Sissy and then was supposed to go for a swim.  However, the day was bright and sunny and *perfect* for a bike ride.  So I did that instead.

 Ocean Point--another ugly spot in Maine

 Me, on the other hand, not as pretty as the view.

Ram Island

20 miles on the bike is just what I needed on that perfect day.

Saturday I was in class all day for continuing education.  The lectures were less than interesting so thank goodness for my computer/phone.  I did manage to get in a 5.5 mile run during the lunch break.  I ran a loop around town and then came back to the resort property and ran out to the lighthouse on the breakwater and back.

There is a light house at the end of that rock path.

The breakwater is about a mile long so that tacked on an extra almost 2 miles to my run.  Have you ever run on a rock path like that?  It is more difficult than it looks.  It was pretty similar to a trail run and if you want to practice your mid-foot strike, then this is the place to do it!  Heel strikes = pulled achilles on this path.

The run was a perfect break in between boring classes.

Sunday we were supposed to have two field hockey games but it was POURING in the morning.  One of the teams was coming from two hours away so I had to make the call to play or cancel pretty early.  We ended up deciding to cancel, it would be terrible for them to drive 2 hours only to have it be pouring, or worse, thundering, and then have to turn around and drive home.

But of course, right around one o'clock when we were supposed to play, the sun came out, almost on cue and it was beautiful out.  One of the few times I have been upset by bright sun.

The kids and I decided to go for a hike on one of the trails near our house to make up for the canceled game.






We are pretty lucky to have such access to the ocean and such beautiful walking trails to use.  This is about 3 miles from my house.

All in all, a pretty good weekend.



No comments: