So here I am in limbo. The waiting zone. The already-started-but-not-quite-finished yet zone. That time in-between the first surgery and the final surgery. It's where you feel mostly normal, but not completely because you know you aren't done yet. There's more fun to be had right around the corner.
I've reached the point where the expanders are filled as much as I want them to be. And holy hell, I don't understand AT ALL why anyone would want to get implants or really large breasts. For example, I have a hard time shaving my armpits because the side boob is so round that there's this valley of pit that is hard to reach. On the plus side, I guess if I ever wear a backless dress, my side boob will be fantastic. So there's that.
Also, it's impossible to sleep on your stomach. Even side-stomach is hard. And perhaps that will be better when the implants are in, but these damn expanders are hard as shit. (well, actually more like hard as books... shit is kinda soft but you get what I'm saying.) It's a bit like sleeping with two softballs under your chest. Like princess and the pea but on steroids. So that sucks.
And cleavage is overrated. I've never had it before so I've never had the pleasure (?) of sweating between my boobs while exercising. I can't say that I care for it. Also, food drops down in between them now which never happened before. Snacks for later, I guess.
In other more depressing news, a good friend of mine recently got diagnosed with a similar, but much more aggressive cancer than mine. She's currently preparing to start chemo this week and then double mastectomy in a few months. I am forever thankful I don't need chemo but sad beyond belief that she does.
All this cancer showing up everywhere with no rhyme or reason has really got me thinking. Thinking about the time we have here on this planet and how to make the most impact. Thinking about the type of person I am and how I want to be remembered. I think, for the most part, I am a good person and do my best to help others when I can. But I know I can do better. I know I fail far more times than I succeed and I often think about things I'd like to do better but then life and work and kids get in the way and I fall back into my old ways and habits.
I'm making a list of the things that I fail at in hopes that I can look at it on occasion to remind myself where to do better. Here goes....
1. I fail at calling and visiting my parents. I need to do better at this. In my defense, they both did move far away from me but I still need to make more of an effort to visit them. Calling is easy. I just need to do it.
2. I fail at calling and visiting my friends. I need to take the time to call not just when I have something in MY life that I want to talk about. It shouldn't always be about me.
3. I fail at putting the needs of others before my needs. (Except my kids. I'm really good at putting their needs first, even in those times when I shouldn't!) Even when I'm struggling, I have so much more than a lot of people and I should be better at sharing--both my time and resources.
4. I fail at birthdays and Christmas. I'm horrible. It doesn't always have to be about buying a gift--in fact, it should be less about the gift buying and more about spending time or calling or sending a card.
5. I need to volunteer more.
This list is by no means all inclusive--I'm sure there are plenty more ways I could be a better person, but it's a start anyway!
Have any of you had something happen in your life that makes you think about things differently or try to be a better person? Let's all pick one thing and try to do better just for today. I'm going to call my dad tonight on my way home from work. Share what you did, I'd love to hear. :)