Friday, February 25, 2011

struggles

As it snows like the dickens here this morning (arrrrgh!!), I find myself struggling to get workouts in like I should (want to).  At this point in my life, with 3 kids all under age 11, my life is not ever always about what I want to do.  Those moms out there know exactly what I mean!  Ideally, I would love to come to work each day, play tennis at lunch, leave work and head to the Y for my choice of exercise.  The reality is, I may get to play tennis at lunch 2 x week, but after work all bets are off.  One kid has dance and the other has basketball.  Neither is at the same time so you go from one to another, finally arriving home at 6:30 with no dinner cooked and kids needing to go to bed at 7-7:30 or someone (ME!) will pay dearly in the morning getting ready for school.  You get up the next day and do it all over again.

Even lunchtime break is not sacred.  Sometime staff meetings or other business obligations get in the way of my lunch workout.  Being a business owner can be a PIA sometimes.  (Overall, it is super--no complaints!)
Adding to the difficulty, is the amount, or lack thereof, of daylight in the winter and the stupid snow!  Once we get into April, I will be able to run at 6:30 or 7 at night when the kids are getting ready for bed because it will still be light out.  Now it is darker than a boot and there's no way I'm taking my life into my hands on the narrow road around my house.  That is a death wish!  Add snow into that mix and it reduces my available running time yet again.  I don't mind the cold, but the ice on the road is scary, especially if it's covered with snow. 

The weekends are often filled with the kids activities especially during basketball season.  This weekend we have bball games tonight, one child's jiu jitsu in the morning and another bball game in the afternoon.  In two different towns.  ugh.  Then  more snow on Sunday.  double ugh. 

This may sound like a bitch session, which in some ways it is.... (it is my blog, after all.  I can bitch if I want to... ) but more just a way to let it out and maybe get some feedback on how others deal with it.  I think I am just going to have to wait it out for better weather and more daylight.  Spring is coming, spring is coming.  It is coming, isn't it? 

Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

Anne said...

I thought only my husband said "like the Dickens"!! ha ha. I was so very shocked to see your note on my Soul Brother blog post about Paul !! This is just "too cool"!!! I am FB friends with Catherine and I do have Paul's NH address. I just went through my pile of Christmas card envelopes and found it! Thank you!! We will have to meet up some day! I just told Catherine of the connection and cannot wait for Paul to find out! :) Anne