Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Same but Different

Once again I'm jumping on with Stasha to take part in her Listicles.  Thank God she does this once a week so I have a topic to blog about if I'm having a bit of writers block.   This week it is Ten Ways That You Are the Same or Different From Your Younger Self. 

1.  SAME: I am still that same girl who is afraid to ever speak her mind against the popular opinion.  Either good or bad, I was never that girl that spoke up.  For the most part, I am still that way.  If there is a chance that speaking up will evolve into an argument, then forget it.  I will just remain quiet.  However, I have become more vocal with things I disagree with when it comes to my kids.  Although it is difficult for me to be the 'squeaky wheel', I have gotten to the point where I can 'man-up' and speak my mind when necessary. 

2. SAME AND DIFFERENT:  I am more fit now than I was when I was in my late 20's and all of my 30's.  That is the different part.  Strangely enough, I am about the same weight.  That has not fluctuated more than 10-12 lbs over the years.  Except for being pregnant.  But that doesn't count.  Cause there was a kid in there.

3.  DIFFERENT:  I am different in that I have less friends then when I was younger.  What I mean by that is, I still have the same friends as I did in college and some from high school but my time with them is minimal and this makes me sad.  I know it is mostly my fault--it is so hard to keep up with friends with all the stresses of life: work, kids, kid's activities etc and all of my good friends from school live at least an hour away or even in another state.   I have acquaintance friends that are parents of my kid's friends, but they are not the same as the friends that you make in school/college.  They just aren't.  And so I dearly miss that daily interaction with girlfriends that you share everything with.

4.  SAME:  I still pick at the skin around my fingers.  Always have, probably always will.

5.  DIFFERENT:  I never cry anymore.  I used to cry often and at almost anything when I was a teenager and even in college.  I guess I just figured out it really doesn't do any good to cry.  So I don't.  Plus, I don't like to be upset like that in front of the kids.  I actually can't remember the last time I cried.  Feelings: shut off.  Maybe not so healthy, but meh, oh well.

6.  DIFFERENT:  I don't drink alcohol.  Not because I'm a drunk or anything like that.  I just don't.  I don't really care for the taste of it except for milk and kahlua and that is a caloric nightmare.  I can't justify the calories for what doesn't really taste that good to me in the first place.  I'd rather have a brownie sundae.  Also, since having kids, I just can't deal with being hungover and kids in the morning.  I really don't know how other people do it.

7.  SAME:  I love chocolate.  Always have.  It is a little less intense than it used to be.  For example, a sundae choice of my 14 year old self would have been:  hot fudge brownie sundae with chocolate ice cream and chocolate jimmies.  That particular concoction would have me shitting like ten dogs these days.  Nowadays, I would choose a hot fudge sundae with vanilla ice cream or oreo ice cream.

8.  DIFFERENT:  I don't care if I buy brand name products anymore.  Shaw's brand pasta is just as good as Prince pasta.   Pantene shampoo is fine, I don't need Paul Mitchell or Aveda anymore.  White label chicken noodle soup is fine, Campbells only if I have a coupon and it's on sale.  Call me cheap but I just don't care about spending money on stuff like that. 

9.  SAME:  I am most efficient when I have something to do every. single. minute.  I can multi-task with the best of them.  If I have something to do every single night, then guess what?  Shit gets done.  When I have a whole week of nothing planned, very little gets done.  This is the same as when I was in college and high school.  Can you say Type A?

10.  SAME:  I am a happy person.  As a general rule, I wake up happy and unless something comes along to ruin that happiness, then I remain happy.  I used to have more mood swings when I was younger (see #5), but still would always 95% of the time, be happy.  I don't hold grudges, I don't stay angry for long and always think that people want to do the right thing and want to be good.  (translation:  I don't think bad about people unless they give me a reason to.)  I would be a terrible judge, police officer or parole officer.  What?  You say you weren't drinking?  But I smell it.  Oh, it's what you spilled the other night?  Oh, right.  Well, ok, if you say so. 

How are you the same or different from when you were younger?  Have things changed much?

4 comments:

Sisterhood of the Sensible Moms said...

I had arguments too. Discord make me twitchy. Ellen

Kara said...

I totally agree with you on not being able to handle a kid the morning after drinking. Nothing makes me order water faster than picturing a giggling toddler at 6:30am playing with loud musical toys.

Christy @ My Dirt Road Anthem: A Runner's Blog said...

same- I still have a huge sweet tooth and prefer fruity chewy candy over chocolate, but am not that picky. I still like lots of sleep and reading books and am fitness and healthy lifestyle minded.

Different- I used to think running 6 miles was a long run, I used to lift a lot of weights and belong to a gym, now I workout at home and do a lot of bodyweight exercises.

Stasha said...

We have so much in common. I am same with booze and picking at the skin on the side of my nails and chocolate madness and being happy and brand names! Well I am just saying we must have been seperated at birth. Except I am the chunky twin ;)