Thursday, April 12, 2012

TTT--taxes, vacation, swim/run/tri

Three things Thursday--the nice easy way out of writing a clever post.  Here goes.

1.  Taxes

My week got significantly better on Tuesday when I got my taxes back from the accountant.

What you say?  Things got better??  I know, hard to believe, right?  But they did.

In a weird karma-like kinda way, even though the business made mucho less money last year (which, in turn, means I did too...), I still made my quarterly payments based on a certain income level.  So, that means that I grossly overpaid for the year and didn't owe one red cent!  Not even my first quarterly payment!!!  This has never happened.  I am actually getting a refund!

Who knew that I would be so happy to have made so much less money.  Go figure.

2.  Vacation

I'm just about finished packing for vacation.  We are leaving to head to Boston tonight to be ready for our flight tomorrow.

The hardest part about packing is remembering/charging/syncing/and bringing chargers/cords for all 5 iPods, 3 DS's, iPad, mac book, cameras, and 2 different brands of cell phones.  How in the world did we manage to go on vacation without all this stuff??  I have spent all day yesterday and today in between patients updating, syncing and downloading movies and music to each iPod so that each kid has something to watch.

I'm also kinda anal about making sure we have things like Advil, bandaids, chapstick, tweezers, eye drops, q-tips, nail clippers and such.  I hate having to buy that stuff when we get somewhere and god knows, if I don't pack it, someone will have some life-threatening hangnail that needs clipping and a bandaid.  Clothes, I don't mind buying, but somehow it pisses me off to have to buy a $3 box of bandaids or $6 bottle of Advil......

Sissy wanted me to make sure that I packed my tweezers because (and these are her words), 'you know you're going to have a man hair that drives you crazy'.    Um, yah, thanks for noticing.  But she's right.  This is why I now have 3 pairs of crappy tweezers--bought from previous vacations when I saw a chin hair that needed plucking.   Just so you know, they are way more obvious in the sunlight.

3.  Swim/Run/Tri

I am still reveling in the speedy swim time of mine on Monday.  I just can't believe that I swam 1:30 minutes faster.  Hopefully, I can duplicate that in the sprint tri I'm doing in June.

4 mile run done yesterday while Princess was dancing.  Yay for me.

I just got an email that there is an opening in the Polar Bear Tri on 5/5 that I put my name on the wait list for.  I really would like to do this one, but because of the last-minute planning of aau basketball, I have no idea what day or time Sissy's games are on that day.  Should I sign up anyway?  Possibly missing her game?  Selfish or not?


Are you selfish with your races?

Do you bring every piece of electronic equipment known to man with you on vacation?



6 comments:

Bobbi said...

For the Polar Bear I'd grab it! It's a big deal race with tough competition. That's a highly coveted spot. Have a great vacation!

Unknown said...

As a mother, I often put my stuff on hold so that I do not miss anything of my kids. Crazy, I know, but that's just how I'm wired!

Tough Chik said...

So, so SO jealous of your refund. I am waiting for the very last minute to mail my check. I do mine yearly...need to do the quarterly est like you. Taxes suck!

Christi said...

Awesomeness, on the taxes! We did not get that lucky this year!

Yes sign up for the race!

I do pack almost every electrical device known to man for vacation!

Have a great time!

Teamarcia said...

Yep, have all electronics known to man, will travel. I say sign up! :)

Kara said...

I am such an overpacker for trips ever since having a kid. I used to just wing it before.

Be selfish about races, that's part of the fun. :)