Friday, February 24, 2012

Big Mouth or Not?

Last night I did something very of out character for me.  I spoke my opinion when I felt someone was doing something wrong.  Unless someone is getting hurt, for the most part, I just shut my mouth when I see someone doing something that bends the rules a little or is out of line.  My husband, on the other hand, is the first to speak right up and tell that person what he thinks.  Which can be good and can be bad.  I usually let stuff slide if it means confronting someone.

So anyway, last night the whole family went swimming at the Y pool.  Last fall a whole new pool facility opened here with all new locker rooms.  There is now a men's locker room, a women's locker room with a girl's section within it and a new family locker room.  Men is for men, women/girls is for women and the family one is for a mom with boys or a dad with girls.  Get it?  Ok, so anyway, the boys in our family went off to the men's locker room and the girls proceeded into the women's locker room.  The women's locker room has little alcoves to change with lockers and a big ass mirror all along the opposite wall.  So even if you are in a alcove changing, everyone in the locker room can see you in the mirror. 

So we walk into the women's room and walk by what looked a like a young grandmother with a 2 ish year old girl and also an 7 or 8 year old boy.  First of all, they were in my space in front of my locker!  How dare they?  Second of all there is a boy in the women's locker room!  In my mind I'm like "WTF is a boy doing in this locker room?  Is she going to leave?  Why are they in here?  Do we change?  WTF?  Why aren't they in the family locker?"  My girls are looking at me with the same questions in their eyes.  Mom, what do we do?  Do we change here?   The grandmother tells the boy to "come over here, the girls want to change", (still right in front of MY locker.... but I digress.) like he can't see EVERYTHING right in that big ass mirror I spoke of.  My sister-in-law (50 something year old woman) is for sure not going to change with that boy standing right there so she goes into a bathroom and so does my oldest daughter. 

In a very unlike me fashion, I walk over (heart pounding, scared as hell) and tell her I don't want to be rude but there is a family locker room over there and that boys are not supposed to be in this locker room, it is a girls only locker room.  She looks like annoyed, but to her credit, just said ok and gathered the kids and left.

I felt bad, like I was being a big mouth, but really, he is not supposed to be in there.  I wouldn't have said a word if it was a 1 or 2 year old boy (even though the rule is still the same) but an 8 year old?  C'mon.  There were multiple signs on the door that said women's and girl's.  Did she really not know? 

So anyway, that was a pretty big accomplishment for me to actually say something to her.  I still can't believe I did it.  I didn't want to be one of those that goes to the front desk and "tells" on them.  I figured it would just be better to man up and do it myself.


Big mouth or not?  What would you have done?

Popcorn giveaway--only a few more days to enter!!  Oh and today is free bag Friday--buy 2 and get 1 bag free!!!  Go check them out!


5 comments:

Lisa said...

I'm so like you in that I hate conflict and avoid it like the plague. However, I think you handled it perfectly.

Karen said...

agree with Lisa -I avoid conflict at all costs. I think you were right in saying something. I mean, maybe she just didn't know... and now she does.

Christi said...

You did a great job on this one. This should have not occurred.

That Pink Girl said...

I think you handled this very appropriately. It can be hard to stand up but you did a great job!

Kara said...

I love that your idea of having a big mouth is asking her nicely to leave. :) I could teach you so much about having a big mouth.