Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thanksgiving Run

Thanksgiving is easily one of my favorite holidays.  Four days off in a row.  Excellent food.  Plenty of time for exercise.  Family.  I love it.  I just love it.

The day began with getting the bird ready to go in the oven at 7:00 a.m.  We bought a freshly slaughtered (monday) turkey from a local farm store so it wasn't cheap it would be all natural.  Husband was being teased by the deer out hunting so it was up to me to get it ready.  After the bird was in I got all the veggies ready and in pots to be cooked later.

We were all heading down to the Y for a very low key Turkey Trot.  There was no registration fee, just a suggested donation to the local food pantry.  There ended up being quite a few people who showed up--maybe around 70?  Kids, moms, dads, dogs, kids on bikes, moms with strollers.  It was great!  There was a 5 or 10k option and you could walk or whatever.

The whole family came!  Sissy, Princess and Manimal on his bike.

It was an untimed race, no prizes.  Just the 'prize' of knowing that you gave to the food pantry and burned calories before your dinner.  It was perfect running weather--mid 40's.  My family did the 5K.  I would have done the 10k but I wanted to stay with Manimal and I wasn't sure he could do a whole 6 miles on his bike.  Turns out, he probably could have.  The girls ran with their friends.  I kept time and when I finished, I turned around to find the girls and run back with them.  I was somewhere around 26 ish.  Sissy finished around 27, Princess around 30 minutes.  So proud of them!

This race ended up raising $1600 for our local food pantry!  I think this just might become a yearly tradition.  What a great cause and a great way to help it.  So proud of our community.

Hubs had gone down to the boatyard to get the last of our lobsters that were crated up.  He cooked all 18 of them so we had lobster as our appetizer.  Not too shabby.  My husband's mom, two sisters and brother were all joining us and we had a really great dinner.  We all had a moment before dinner to say what we were thankful for.  It's nice to say and to hear those things.  I love them all so much.  My family.

Did you do a Turkey Trot today?

Happy Thanksgiving! 


1 comment:

Carrie said...

What a lovely post. I'm glad that you had such a great day with your family. Happy Thanksgiving, Michelle!