Thursday, June 20, 2013

No Socks and Breaking the Law

By some major miracle we have managed to have 3 days of sun here in Maine!  In a row!  It's almost like Mother Nature doesn't hate us anymore.  I am so lucky that I can get out and enjoy it during my lunch. Yesterday was a run, today was a bike.

Once again, I cannot manage to effectively push down the stopper on my water bottle enough that it doesn't leak all over my gym bag.  I swear, how many times does this have to happen before I figure it out?  Therefore, my sports bra was damp with propel water.  That feels really good to put on, in case you were wondering.

And then I forgot my socks.

Since I wasn't running and there are plenty of folks out there who do the bike portion of the tri without socks, I figured I'd give it a try.  It was better than missing my bike ride.  Turns out, the Tri Fly shoe is
pretty dang comfortable without socks.  Who knew?

sans socks

So I'm riding along minding my own on this back road in the middle of nowhere and this school bus is coming at me.  Its lights are flashing and it's getting ready to let kids off the bus.  I'm all like, shit!  I'm supposed to stop aren't I?  But I'm on a bike on the other side of the road.  In bike shoes that clip in.  Do I really have to stop?  I slow down and see that none of the kiddos are crossing the road, so I decide not to unclip and stop.

What say you all bike riders of America?  I was technically supposed to stop, wasn't I?  Would you have stopped?

One other good thing is that this is the first ride since raising my seat up that my neck hasn't killed me on my ride.  I think I probably still have to raise the handlebars a little but it is getting better.  Which totally makes me re-think getting aero bars.  I really don't want to have to get used to something new all over again when it's not likely to make me all that much faster.  It's not like I'm winning age groups here or anything.  Not to mention, they are not allowed for the 50 mile ride I have in July.  So really, why bother?


I love how this graph makes it look like I climbed Mt. Everest or something.  

I needed to post this graph even though it adds nothing to this blog post because I finally figured out how to screen capture and I love that my runtastic app shows elevation/speed and distance.  (can you say run-on-sentence?)

Do you wear socks with your bike shoes?

Would you stop for a school bus with flashing lights if you were on your bike?

No comments: