Monday, December 9, 2013

Weekly Check In

Why does it feel like we have ZERO time to deal with Christmas this year?  I mean, really, Christmas is just 2 weeks away and I just purchased my photo cards.  I somehow managed to squeak out enough photos to make the photo calendars that I make every year.  I was really worried because at first look, I hardly had any photos to use.  But after searching all phones (mine, husbands and babysitters), I found plenty!  I guess we are using the camera on the phones much more than the actual camera…

I usually have both of those things done by now and the cards already mailed out so I'm way behind in terms of that.  At least they are ordered and heading my way.

Having said that, I have not yet received a Christmas card from anyone so I guess everyone is behind…

Friday night I took our little Girl Scout troop to see the Maine State Ballet's version of the Nutcracker.  Princess seemed to be especially interested as she is a dancer and is doing her own version of The Nutcracker this coming weekend.  Her dance studio does a tap version, so it's very different than what one normally sees.  One of the girls who was a toy soldier used to be in our troop so that was fun to see her and the band teacher at our middle school was playing trombone in the orchestra.

Saturday we got our tree but was unable to put it up because the tree stand was all broken and crooked. I thought it was fine but the kids didn't like it all and wanted a new one.  Not to mention all the lights were broken or missing so we needed to buy more of those.  I swear, it seems like every year I need to buy more and more lights.  Where do they go?  To the land of the missing socks, probably.

It was a nice, sunny, warmish day so I got to go for a run as well.  I started out thinking I would do 4, then 5 but went on and did 6!  You know, one of those days when you just want to keep on running because it feels so good.

I was finally able to take the dog to the vet to get his damn nails clipped.  Thank you sweet Jesus.  The clip clip clipping on the hardwood floor every second of every minute that I am home sends me right over the edge.  He's old and on his way out of this life, but dammit, I need some peace from the constant clicking on the floor.

He ended up doing his weird wheezing, asthma, I'm-going-to-die breathing thing and then pooping on the floor.  Good stuff.  The vet tech was all wanting to do a work-up about his breathing and I'm like, nope, just clip the nails.  Really.  I swear I can never get out of the vet's office without dropping a Benjamin.  Every time.  Probably someone somewhere says that about the eye doctor….

We met this guy on the way out.

He was so happy.  Despite the 20 quills hanging off his lips.

I'll bet his owner dropped a bill as well.

Sunday was another day of driving 90 minutes south for field hockey practice for Sissy.  While she was practicing I was able to meet up with Danielle and get a great run in.  She lives really close to the college we were at so that worked out really nicely.  I got a chance to see her sweet baby, Henry, in person.  He is so dang cute!

not sure what I'm looking at… photo cred to Danielle

Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it, the indoor facility is near the mall.  Fortunately for Sissy, unfortunately for me.  However, I was able to get over my loathing of the mall and all the people in it to go in and purchase some Christmas gifts.  It has to be done and no one is going to do it for me so I just went in and did it.  That was a relief, as much as I hate the mall.

One of these made their way home with us--a gift for my son.

It's crazy-ass expensive bean bag--yogibo

They basically just put it in a big, clear plastic bag and out you go.  Can you imagine me dragging that thing behind me through the mall?  Well, that's what I did.  I even sat on it at one point outside Aeropostle while my daughter looked around.

this pretty much sums up my feelings about being at the mall 

I did run into my other running/high school friend Bobbi and her family so that was a great surprise.  We ate at the culinary treasure that is Panda Express and then visited the cultural center of Maine--Wal-Mart and then mercifully, went home.  Tree stand, lights, xmas gifts and groceries in hand, I walked into my house at 6 p.m.

Then went to bed.

And I'm no where near done so I get to do it all again next weekend.  Good stuff.

Where are you in your Christmas shopping?  Better off than me?

1 comment:

Sage Grayson said...

Christmas sneaks up on me every year too. I figure I'm good until the Christmas cards from friends and family start arriving.

And I totally have that same grumpy face at the mall. :)