Monday, May 9, 2011

Mother's Day Weekend Recap

What a busy weekend it was!  Friday started with my first day back in the pool in over a month!  Our local YMCA's pool is closed because they are building a new one and the other rec center I've been swimming at this spring has closed my usual lap time for 8 weeks so that the school kids can have swimming lessons!  ugh.  I was hoping that was finished, but no!  It goes on for another 3 weeks!  The next closest Y is about 25 miles away so I called there hoping they had lap swim at lunch time--and they did!  So Yay!  I just had to drive a little further to get to that pool and I was able to get my mile swim in.  I was relieved to find that I could still do it.  I'll be headed there again this Friday.

Saturday was a busy day as well.  Our local Y was hosting its annual 10K/5K road race that day and my daughter (11 yo) had decided that she wanted to run the 5K.  This would be her first one.  There is also a "bunny run" for kids under 12 (which is a 1 mile race) but she wanted to do the full 5K.  :) My 5 yo son did the bunny run and came in first for his age group for the second year in a row! 

Grabbing the hardware!


 Then it was time for the 5K/10K.  All the runners start at the same time so we lined up.  My daughter, S, was ok with running alone in case I went ahead of her but then a bunch of her friends decided to run too and a dad, so she ended up having plenty of people to run with.  I went all out from the get-go.  I wanted to break the 25 mark by the end of the summer so that was my goal.  I finished 4th overall woman, 3 girls (aged 11, 13 and 14) beat me, so actually I was the first woman!  ;)  PR of 24:30!  Woot!  S came it at 27:30!  Super awesome job for her first race!!!  I was so proud of her!


There we are in the background.  S has the purple shirt, I'm just in front of her with the Texas colored shorts.

Here is S arriving at the finish line!  Her first 5K!

Mother's Day was quite nice this year.  I slept in until 8:00 a.m.  (yes, that is considered sleeping in for all you non-moms.... ).  When I woke up these are the things I woke up to:
and this:

Do you think I like to snack, or what?

And finally a card that almost brought me to tears (and I am not a crier AT ALL).  My middle daughter made this book for me:


I love you more than drawing.

I could not get this to be turned the right way, even though it was correct in my files.....
I love you more than grampy loves golfing.  (wow!  that is a lot!)

I love you more than cookie dough ice cream.
still turned--reason unknown


I love you more than anything.

Is that not the sweetest thing?  :)  And finally, I got to pick out a tri-outfit.  Something to wear in the pool, on the bike and on the run.  This is what I got:

You will certainly be able to find me in a crowd!  I like it though.  It fits nicely and I don't have to change. 
Can it be Mother's Day every day?

1 comment:

Christi said...

Happy Mother's Day and congrats on the PR! FYI, I have those same Texas running shorts! Great minds think alike.