Thursday, January 19, 2012

Wednesday listicles

In keeping with my usual lateness, once again the Wednesday listicles (which is actually supposed to be Monday...) is a day late.  But not a dollar short.  Thank goodness.

Wednesday I was out of the office most of the day because I had to attend the closing on our house and bring Princess to dance.  So I didn't have any time to spend on the computer lurking on FB and writing my blog getting work done. 

This week's list is 10 things that we said we'd never do/say but have caught ourselves doing.  As a mom, some of these should ring pretty true with every other mom out there. 

1.  Talk about my kid until the person I'm talking to is about ready to explode with boredom.  I'm much better with not going on about my kids to anyone who will listen now that I have three and they are not babies anymore.  You figure out around kid 2 and age 5 that your kid is not the best at everything and that everyone thinks their kid is the cutest anyway so don't bother sharing.  Otherwise you end up in a "my kid is better than yours" pissing contest and that never ends well.

My kids really are better than yours so just give it up.  :p

2.  Call in sick to work when you aren't really sick.  I did this ONCE when I worked in Boston.  I was unhappy with the place I was working and they were not treating me right and I just felt taken advantage of.  It was the one and only time I have ever done that.  Truely.  I am a terrible liar.

3.  Snoop in my kids room.  I swore (as a kid) that I would never do this, but I have read text messages from my daughter's friends on her ipod.  (totally harmless, btw).  So far, I have no reason to do this other than being nosey.  She probably wouldn't care anyway.  She tells me everything and still likes me.  Soon to change, I'm sure.

4.  Drive my kids across the state to take fancy dance lessons/play on an AAU basketball team.  Not specifically those things, but I did always kinda of look sideways at those parents who drive their kid everywhere to be on the 'best' team or participate in the 'advanced' league.  Hmmm, enjoying that crow, Michelle? 

5.  Pay to send my kids to a different/private high school.  We haven't decided this for sure but it is certainly a consideration.  I am, for the first time, seriously thinking about what high school to send them to. 

6.  Run a half marathon.  I never in a million years ever would have thought that I could do that.  If you'd asked me 2 years ago, I would have said no freakin' way.  But I can and I did.

7.  Complete a triathlon.  Just a sprint, yes I know, but I never thought I could/would do that either.  A co-worker had been doing them for 4 years or so and I always talked with her about it, but said, no I couldn't do that.  I can't run or swim well enough. 

8.  Have kids.  I swore for years that I was never going to have kids.  My mother used to get all upset about it.  Not sure why but she did. 

9.  Live in Maine as an adult.  I swore I would never come back to Maine to live once I left for optometry school in Boston.  I thought I was going to live there (or somewhere else cool) forever.  I guess I decided that Maine was pretty cool after all.

10.  Let my kids get away with bad behavior because it's too hard to follow through on the punishment.  Guilty.  Not very often, but my middle child especially, just knows how to push my buttons and send me over the edge.  She gets away with REALLY bad behavior  1. because I don't spank (when my mother would have smacked my ass and been done with it) 2. because we are so busy that I just don't have time to make her sit in her room all day when I have groceries to get, the dump to go to, the other kid's basketball to watch etc etc.

So there is my listicles for the day.  Hope you enjoy!

Any to add to the list?

2 comments:

Christi said...

I said I would never say "Because I said so!" Yeah, I have used it and it didn't work for me either!

Christy @ My Dirt Road Anthem: A Runner's Blog said...

This was fun to read. I called in sick twice when I wasn't but only because I had never called in sick and I wanted a fun day :)